Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How to Hack an Ocarina - Simplify the Keys

Making it easier to play an instrument.

Prologue:

In the past, I learned a little piano---barely---before stopping at something like level 1 I think (is there a level 0?).  It was only recently during a trip to Taiwan that I decided to try out a different instrument.  An ocarina.  An ocarina is a wind instrument that works basically like a recorder (remember learning those in elementary?), but made from clay.  Once I saw it, I decided to try out learning how to play it.  Why?  It reminded me of Link's Ocarina of Time from the Zelda video games*.  :)  Imagine playing mysterious melodies and being all deep and "mystically-like"...

Hey ocarina, ocarina, ocarina
Anyways, while learning to play it, I discovered that the way just to play different notes is not straightforward. 

Ocarina front:  3 left-hand holes + 3 right-hand holes.  Ocarina back right:  2 holes.
Problem:

The instructions were not intuitive.  At least to me.  Something like:  "1st Right, 2nd Right, 1st+2nd Right, Add 1st Left, Add 2nd Left...???" (more on this later on).  This is way different from how the notes on a piano are arranged "linearly", like a number line.  Remembering the notes in the instructions was like trying to memorize how to play different notes on a recorder, which is much more complicated, and is like a jumbled-up number line.  Or like learning notes on a guitar, which--if you also know how the keys on a piano work--is like having the line of keys of a piano folded over each other at seemingly random intervals and places (like a number line folded at strange intervals).  This is besides the fact that any words in the instructions were in Chinese.

The instructions that reminded me of recorders and guitars.
Solution:

So once upon a time, I decided to hack my ocarina.  No, not chop it into smithereens.  No ragequit here.  What I did was I started experimenting making notes.  Simple.  After a little time, I found that I could make the notes "linear", just like how higher notes are raised "higher up" towards the right of a piano, and lower notes are "lower down" towards the left.  By just trying to make it "linear", the notes just happened to work themselves out, and I could start playing tunes right away.
Number line.  Linear row.  Bigger numbers to the right.  Simple.  Linear intuition.

Explanation:

Why/how does it work?  From my limited music knowledge, I think it has something to do with a shift in musical key signature.  That means I might not be playing the exact same notes as the next person, but at least playing solo I can have an internally consistent set of notes for a song, and---here's the payoff---I can now have an intuitive sense of how to play the next note, just because I visually re-mapped the notes and finger positions so that "up" = "up", and that "down" = "down" (mostly).  How's that for experimenting?  It's just play.

Mapping Details:

In order from left to right, from the point of view of the person playing:

Left:  1, 2, 3,
Right:  4, 5,      7   

Back:           6,     8
I have recently been tweaking the higher notes for accuracy, but this is pretty much a stable 
set for my ocarina.  

Compare this to the original instructions' fingering for notes:

Something like


Left:  6, 5, 4,
Right:  1/3, 2/3,   7
Back:  8
Back:          9,   10

The idea is that it's not neat/linear, some use "half-coverings", the 3rd note is a combination of 1 and 2.  All of which is just complicated.  I like my version better; it's much simpler to remember, and I can get to playing songs faster instead of memorizing strange finger configurations.


-

*P.S.:  I've never played the game myself, but somehow I remember seeing some walk-through guidebooks over 5 years ago at a friend's house.  I actually don't really play video games that much, only when I'm with friends who actually play or have game consoles.  By the way, my ocarina model I have isn't exactly the same as the model in the game, which looks like this: 


The actual Ocarina of Time